In light of the global developments and public impact of the coronavirus (COVID-19), the Dimos Dental & Facial Aesthetics team have temporarily enacted additional protocols and policies to safeguard our patient community and our team. We appreciate that this is a unique and evolving situation in Victoria and a potentially stressful time for all. We want you to know that we are doing everything we can to support you, your safety and your dental health needs during this challenging times.
We also want people to be able to continue their health care at such an important time without disruption. We can assure you that our practice is accessing the most up-to-date and accurate information daily, from the most reliable sources, including the Australian Government Department of Health, World Health Organisation (WHO) and the Australian Dental Association (ADA).
Please note as a proud health provider we already have the highest levels of hygiene and infection control procedures in place. Please see below for further information.
As directed by global and local public health authorities, we have revised our cleaning protocols of public areas to be even more rigorous. Changes in the practice you may notice include:
- Hand sanitiser is available for use at front desk and in all treatment rooms
- Each patient will be requested to perform a pre-treatment mouth rinse for 60 seconds with a provided mouthwash, to minimise the presence of oral microbes
- Minimising aerosol creation during treatment appointments
- Magazines and books have been removed from the patient lounge
- Increased cleaning frequency of reception areas, EFTPOS/HICAPS machine, door handles, light switches
Fortunately, our building at 379 Collins Street employs state-of-the-art hygiene protocols which include:
- Hand sanitising units will be available at the building foyer, as of Friday 20th March
- There has been an increase in cleaning of high traffic common areas with high grade antibacterial sanitising agents
- There has been increased cleaning especially in and around bathrooms and shared facilities
- In the event of a positive diagnosis of COVID-19, protocols are in place to restricted flow of air conditioning to affected building level(s), with the ability to actively treat the airways with non-toxic antimicrobial solution.
Please contact the practice right away if any of the following conditions apply, if:
- You have traveled outside of the country in the last month.
- You have a cough, fever, shortness of breath, or flu-like symptoms.
- You have had contact with anyone who has been exposed to the coronavirus.
- We are happy to rearrange bookings for patients who feel unwell or suspect they may have COVID-19. If you are unsure of your risk, please contact your GP or the COVID-19 hotline on 1800-020-080 (24hrs, 7days).
In this uncertain time we urge our community to act with care and compassion as we consider how we move about the world. Take precautions to protect yourself and each other.
Rest assured, based on current guidance, our practice will be open and operating as planned.
Sterilisation and Pathogen Control
- Our dental clinic always maintains the highest cleanliness standards and sterilisation protocols using ADA-approved disinfectants and/or the barrier method to prevent the spread of infectious diseases.
- We use medical-grade disinfectants and cleaners shown to eliminate bacteria and viruses.
- All instruments are sterilised using ADA-approved methods between each patient. All instrument sterilising autoclave units are equipped with indicators that show they have reached the proper temperature, vacuum and pressure during the sterilising process.
- Many of our instruments and supplies are designed for single use. Once used, they are immediately disposed of safely.
- Sterilisation equipment is maintained and certified regularly.
- Common areas like reception desks, public toilet, and consultation areas are all regularly cleaned to prevent disease spread outside of the treatment room.
- We have safety protocols in place in the event that our patients or dental team are exposed to coronavirus.
How We Can Reduce the Spread of Coronavirus Together
Practising common sense caution can help slow the spread of coronavirus. Here are some vital actions you can take, recommended by the WHO.
- Wash your hands frequently using soap and hot water for at least 20 seconds.
- Use hand sanitiser with a minimum of 60% alcohol if hand washing is unavailable.
- Do not touch your eyes, nose, face, or mouth unless you have clean hands.
- Maintain distance from others in public of at least six feet.
- Cover your mouth when you sneeze or cough.
- Stay at home if you are sick.
- Throw used tissues away immediately.
- If you are sick and must go out, wear a facemask.
If you have recently found disinfectants unavailable due to the demand for these products, you can make your own solution at home using 1/3 cup of bleach per 4L of water. Never mix bleach with any other types of cleaners or ammonia. You can also use alcohol solutions at 70% alcohol or higher.
If you have any questions or concerns about coronavirus, the action we are taking, or if you should come in for your dental appointment, we welcome you to call our clinic.