Orofacial Myology & Breathing in Melbourne
Orofacial myofunctional disorders relate to abnormal positioning of the jaw, tongue or lips when not speaking, swallowing or using the mouth.
Notable symptoms in children that may highlight orofacial myofunctional disorders include:
- Mouth open when not speaking or chewing
- Mouth breathing
- Speech difficulties i.e. lisp
- Dental bite issues i.e. overbite, crossbite, underbite
- Tongue thrusting or tongue resting between or against teeth
In adults, the symptoms may manifest differently and include:
- TMJ (Temporomandibular Joint) pain- this refers to disorders of the joints that connect the jaw to the face which can cause locked jaw, jaw popping, chronic headaches, facial pain, and difficulty/pain when chewing
- Breathing problems i.e. obstructive sleep apnoea- a sleep disorder that means breathing stops several times during the night
- Facial pain
At Dimos Dental we offer orofacial myofunctional disorder treatment, a service which is not commonly found in Melbourne dental clinics, and we cater these therapies to both adults and children.
Our therapies concentrate on keeping the airway open, and we promote at-home exercises to encourage jaw growth correction. Such exercises can include tongue or facial posturing or resting, swallowing therapy, or speech coaching.
If you believe yourself or your child suffers from this disorder, our Melbourne-based Oral Health Therapist and Orofacial Myologist Stami Gregoriou is here to help.