A crown or "cap" is placed over a broken down or cracked tooth to strengthen its structure whilst simultaneously improving aesthetics . A crown is shaped like a tooth and covers the portion of the tooth that lies above the gum.
Other reasons you may need a crown include:
- To protect a worn down tooth
- To minimise risk of breaking a tooth after Root Canal Treatment
- To mask discoloured teeth
- To improve the shape and misalignment of teeth
Bridges replace a missing tooth or teeth. Crowns are placed on the neighbouring teeth to connect and support a porcelain tooth in the gap.
Some benefits of replacing a missing tooth include:
- Restoring your smile and confidence
- Restoring your facial tissues
- Restoring your ability to chew and speak properly
- Preventing neighbouring teeth from moving
Another option for replacing a missing tooth is implant placement, for more information on implants please visit implant page.