An Oral Health Therapist (OHT) is a dual qualified clinician; they are trained in both Dental Hygiene and Dental Therapy.
OHT's play an integral part to dentistry as they focus on disease prevention through education and clinical treatment, and therefore do much more than simply 'clean teeth all day'.
OHT's and hygienists regularly perform a diverse range of procedures such as;
- Cleaning and polishing
- Fluoride applications
- Periodontal disease treatment and management
- Taking X-rays and diagnostic imaging
- Orthodontic procedures
- Fillings and extractions in patients under 18 years of age
- Treatment planning alongside the dentist
- Detection of decay, cracking, acid erosion and wear
- Screen for soft tissue abnormalities, including oral cancer
- Educate patients as to how best take control of their oral health
- Perform whitening procedures and much more
At Dimos Dental, our OHT's will provide you with your routine hygiene services whilst our dentists are responsible for your general and cosmetic dentistry. This allows for consistency and successful collaboration between our clinicians.